You can manually repair the error if you know your way around the Run command, or use a simple software download.
The 0XC004F074 error code appears only during the time of activation when the Software Licensing Service reports that it cannot activate the product key since the Key Management Service cannot be contacted.
The steps below will help you fix the problem easily. This can also be tried for the error code 0x8007232B.
1) Open cmd(command prompt) with administrator rights
2) Type slmgr.vbs –ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx (x should be replaced by your 25 digit product key)
3) Hit enter
4) Type slmgr.vbs –ato (This will change the product key)
5) Hit enter
Another method for fixing Windows activation error 0xC004F074
1) Start -> Run ->Type Slui 3 (Slui 4 for activating by phone)
2) Enter Product key
3) Click Activate
Other methods to try
The issue might be with corrupt system files. Run an SFC scan.
- Open command prompt(with admin rights).
- Type sfc /scannow
Try activating, once the scan is complete. If the scan produced errors, this might be a problem with corrupted system files that needs to be taken care of.
Go to the run command by pressing Windows key + R and type “cmd”
- Now in the command prompt type “slmgr.vbs -ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-(25 digit product key) and press Enter.
- After that type slmgr.vbs -ato and Enter.
- If you still get the error , open the command prompt again and type “Slui 3” and enter your 25 digit product key in the popped out Window.
- Click Activate and open cmd in Administrator mode (right click cmd -> Run as Administrator) and run the command as “sfc /scannow” -> Press Enter.
- Restart your computer and activate Windows 8 again which will work perfectly.